Excel is the software program most requested by today's employers. Many people who use Excel are “self-taught.” What they are missing are the fundamentals that save time and frustration. This class is designed for them! Learn shortcuts and spreadsheet design theory to become an Excel Expert! Go beyond the basics of Excel - simple functions, basic formatting techniques, and printing - as well as spreadsheet terminology and how to navigate worksheets and workbooks. You'll enter and edit text, values, and formulas, save workbooks in various formats; move and copy data; learn about absolute and relative references; and work with ranges, rows, and columns. You will learn how to manage large workbooks, with examples and hands-on exercises to help you build critical thinking skills as you learn Excel.
See specific content information below in sections "Expected Outcomes" and "Attend and You Will Learn."
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for students who desire to gain the necessary skills to create, edit, format, and print basic Microsoft Office Excel worksheets.
Attend and You Will Receive
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a certificate of completion from NC State University.
To be successful in this course, you should be familiar with using the personal computer. You should be comfortable in the Windows environment and be able to use Windows to manage information on the computer. Specifically, you should be able to launch and close programs; navigate to information stored on the computer; and manage files and folders. This course is designed for students who desire to gain the necessary skills to create, edit, format, and print basic Microsoft Office Excel worksheets.
Attend and You Will Learn / Expected Outcome
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to use Excel to perform routine spreadsheet functions.
Attend and You Will Learn
Getting Started with Excel
- Identifying the elements of the Excel interface
- Creating a basic worksheet using labels and values
- Using the help system
- Creating formulas in a worksheet
- Inserting functions in a worksheet
- Reusing formulas
- Using absolute references
Modifying a Worksheet
- Inserting, moving, copying, and deleting cells, columns, and rows
- Hiding and unhiding rows, columns, and worksheets
- Searching for and replacing data
- Spell checking a worksheet
Formatting a Worksheet
- Modifying fonts
- Adding borders and color to cells
- Applying number formats
- Aligning cell contents
- Applying cell styles
- Applying Basic Conditional Formatting
- Using themes
Printing Workbook Contents
- Defining the basic page layout for a workbook
- Adding headers and footers
- Adding print titles
- Defining print areas
- Refining the Page Layout and Apply Print Options
Managing Large Workbooks
- Adding, deleting and formatting worksheets
- Moving and copying worksheets
- Using freeze panes and split windows
- Managing the view of worksheets and workbooks