Effective communication and effective inclusion are more important than ever before in our accelerated and emotionally charged world. Experts have shown that we all have some form of unconscious bias in the workplace, regarding cultural, generational and gender diversity, which can be useful or detrimental. Rather than dwell on labeling negative biases, this class will look at higher-level ways to enhance communication and build long-term relationships that honor individuality.
This is not a class in how to avoid offending anyone, but how as leaders in our groups and communities, we can get the best out of a diverse community. This workshop will dive into building rapport, developing trust, and inspiring more productive results.
See specific content information below in sections "Expected Outcomes" and "Attend and You Will Learn."
Who Should AttendAnyone can attend this class
Attend and You Will ReceiveUpon successful completion of this course, you will receive a certificate from NC State University.
Attend and You Will Learn / Expected Outcome
Attend and You Will Learn
- The communication process and effective communication
- How to identify barriers to effective communication
- Biases, stereotypes, assumptions, and attitudes that may exist in the workplace and how our lenses and perceptions affect our communication
- Cultural, generational, and gender-based values and preferences for interaction
- Effective techniques and strategies for communication in a diverse workplace
- Effective listening skills
- Verbal and non-verbal clues
- Multiple channels for communication