Procuring goods and services for the School Nutrition program is a detailed, complex and precise science. Possessing a strong understanding of the procurement regulations and procedures is key to an accountable and successful procurement system, while offering the confidence of getting the highest quality products and services at the best prices. This course will provide instruction and afford the participant a learning experience for understanding federal and state procurement processes and regulations guiding the School Food Authorities’ (SFAs’) procurement activities.
See specific content information below in the "Attend and You Will Learn" section.
Who Should Attend
School nutrition administrators
Attend and You Will Receive
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate of completion from NC State University.
Attend and You Will Learn / Expected Outcome
Attend And You Will Learn
• Recognize the fundamentals of the federal procurement process
• Summarize components of an effective procurement system within the SFA
• Discern procurement methods for purchases under the small purchase threshold
• Comprehend required procedures using the formal purchase process
• Explain the appropriate procurement process when competition is not available or not feasible
• Recognize well-written and sufficient product specifications to be used in solicitations
• Comprehend process of developing and issuing competitive bid/proposal solicitations
• Explain the procedures for procuring locally grown/raised foods and geographic preference regulations
• Summarize process for developing and awarding of contract, and continued maintenance/oversight of procurement contracts
• Discern concepts of compliance with school nutrition program regulations recognizes concepts of federal and state monitoring
• Summarize process of administering and overseeing cooperative purchasing and food service management contracts