Through this course you will gain and implement fundamental culinary skills to enhance school meals and become empowered as administrator-level support of local Chef Ambassadors and the Teach-It-Forward educational concept. See specific content information below in the "Attend and You Will Learn" section.
Who Should Attend
- School nutrition administrators
Attend and You Will Receive
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a certificate of completion from NC State University.
Attend and You Will Learn / Expected Outcome
Attend And You Will Learn
- Use and proper care for various types of knives
- Proper use of scales and volume measures
- Steps for proper yield testing and recipe development
- Work simplification strategies for food production routine
- Quality control measures, such as batch cooking concepts and proper receiving and handling of food ingredients, in the preparation of nutritious school meals
- Merchandizing principles (e.g. garnish, signage, presentation) in the display and service of menu items
- Culinary techniques for the preparation of school meals
- The importance of Teach-It-Forward and commitment to educating local staff