This 30-hour fully distance education course will help prepare family and youth practitioners to meet the growing demands of families. This course focuses on improving familial relationships through coaching. Discussion will examine family life coaching as a vital service that helps families and youth to reach goals and achieve happiness. Participants will explore theoretical and empirical literature in coaching and examine the implications for practice with families.
- Synchronous - 10 hours of live class meetings; the first class is two hours, all other classes are one hour using the web conference technology Collaborate.
- Asynchronous - Students are expected to complete 10 hours of peer coaching and 5 hours of solo family life coaching practice, and 5 hours of theoretical and practical literature review.
See specific content information below in sections "Expected Outcomes" and "Attend and You Will Learn."
Why You Should Attend
BCC Approved Course!
This course is approved by the Center for Credentialing and Education (CCE) Board Certified Coach (BCC) and fulfills the training requirement for the BCC credential for current master’s level family life professionals. Please check with CCE about your credentialing options: http://www.cce-global.org/bcc
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for practicing family science professionals.
Attend and You Will Receive
- A certificate of completion from NC State University
- 3 CEUs
There are no specific prerequisites for this course, but it is designed for professionals with advanced degrees and a background in family work.
Attend and You Will Learn / Expected Outcome
After completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the theoretical foundations of coaching psychology and family life education.
- Develop coaching skills and strategies for helping individuals and/or families enhance family function.
- Analyze and apply core competencies in coaching work.
Attend And You Will Learn
- What is Family Life Coaching
- The Coaching Model
- Types of Conversations
- How to Coach Families
- The Coaching Session
- Active Listening
- Powerful Questions
- Coaching Alliance
- Understanding Relationships
Notes / Additional Information
Dr. Kim Allen - for a biography please click here.
To learn more about other courses that fulfill the BCC training requirement or to discover further family coach training programs offered by NC State, please visit the Youth, Family, and Community Sciences website.